Evelyn Hill, Inc. has always been interested in conservation and environmental protection. As the official concessionaire of the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island we have made great steps forward on our path toward sustainability and low impact operations. Some of our efforts are outlined below, as well as our environmental accomplishments and the many associations we have joined below.
Lady Liberty ... A symbol of Stewardship
- Over 390,000 Pounds of material was recycled in 2011.
- 95% of all refuse was recycled.
- 49,000 Pounds of compost was generated.
- 17,000 pounds of compancted plastic bottles were recycled.
The Liberty Island Gift Pavilion
- LEED Platinum Certified Geothermal heating & cooling system that reduces energy demand by 35%
- Recycled content of the building is 43%
- LED lighting reduces electric demand by 65%
- Rainwater collection reduces water usage by 40%
- Recycling of 95% of construction waste
- Restrooms feature waterless urinals and ultra-low flush toilets equipped with water sensors, saving approximately 395,000 gallons of water per year
- Used cooking oil from Crown Cafe powers a generator that provides some electricity to the gift pavilion
We Use 100% Green Power
- Avoid carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Our sustainability efforts reduced Green House Gases (GHGs) on the Island by more than 693 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent in 2011, the equivalent of removing 136 passenger vehicles from the road each year.
- Reduce some types of air pollution
- Hedge against future electricity price increases, by an efficient energy usage. Each night we turn off every bulb so electricity isn’t wasted when no one is here. Also, all new equipment is ENERGY STAR qualified.
- Serve as a brand differentiate
- Generate customer, investor, or stakeholder loyalty and employee pride
- Create positive publicity and enhance your organization’s public image
- Demonstrate civic leadership
We Prevent Waste in the first place
- We buy free-trade, certified organic coffee grown in the shade, which prevents cutting down forests to grow coffee.
- By serving condiments and creamers from a pump system instead of individual packets, we have eliminated more than 3 million condiment packets and 495,000 single-serving creamer cups per year.
- Unlike most other coffee cups, ours have a corn starch rather than petroleum-based lining and are completely biodegradable, compostable, and chlorine-free, but still hold hot beverages safely. Instead of sending used cups to the landfill, they are composed.
- We serve our meals in reusable and washable tableware. These materials are nicer to eat off of, prevent waste, and save money.
- We have worked with vendors to eliminate excess packaging wherever possible.
We Buy Green Products
Our dinner napkins, toilet paper, office paper, gift shop bags, gift boxes and postcards we sell are made with recycled content. All of our chemicals meet the criteria for Green Restaurant certification.
We Strive To Bring Healtheier Food To The Public
We are Certified as a Green Restaurant and currently serve these organic foods:
- All of our produce
- Freshly squeezed orange juice/other juices
- French fries
- Domino Sugar
- Whole fruit We Also Offer The Following Meats Raised Natural And Local:
Beef: Our hamburgers are from locally raised Angus beef. They both are fed naturally using sustainable farming methods and are free of antibiotics and hormones.
Our Statue of Lliberty bottled water is from a local spring
- 100% Carbon Neutral Since 2006
- Recycling All Cooking Oils (December 2008)
Evelyn Hill Inc. continues to repurpose 100% of all cooking oils for reuse as bio-diesel fuel, thus diverting an average of 10 tons of waste from landfills per year.
- Composting All Coffee Grounds (December 2002)
Evelyn Hill, Inc. continues to divert 100% of all used coffee grounds for composting, saving on average over 6,000 pounds from the landfill every year.
- Recycling All Cardboard (December 1996) Evelyn Hill Inc. continues to divert100% of all cardboard from their operations to recylcing, saving over 300,000 pounds of waste from landfills each year.
- National Restaurant Association
- New York State Restaurant Association
- International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions
- New York City Convention Bureau
- American Association of Museums - AAM
- American Museum Association
- National Association For Interpretation
- International Souvenir Association - by invitation only. One of 4 US members.
- Souvenir Wholesale Distributors Association - SWDA
- National Association of the Souvenir Industry - Living Legends
- EPA, Wastewise
- EPA, Energy Star
- EPA, Climate Change
- National Fire Prevention Association
- Greenblue Packaging
- New Jersey Conservation Foundation
- National Park Hospitality Association - Board Member
- National Park Conservation Association
- NY Council - Board Member
- National Park Foundation