Green weddings are In as a top wedding trend, and while some wedding couples think they have to have their wedding in a field to go eco-friendly, Ellis Island and Liberty Island are award-winning eco-friendly locations for weddings, corporate events and special celebrations! We’re proud of our many green initiatives and eco-friendly event strategies, and having your wedding or party at our historic locations means that your wedding will be eco-friendly and take place in a Wow Factor venue with fabulous architecture, great views of the NYC skyline and pure luxury!
If you’re interested in having a green wedding, you don’t have to go to a farm or get married in a barn. You can be married right here on our spectacular grounds or in our historic buildings, and have your beautiful reception right here as well, knowing that your wedding venue excels at eco-friendly methods such as recycling, using energy-efficient equipment and technology, collecting rainwater, and more. According to a recent wedding industry survey by TheWeddingReport.com, recent wedding couples said that having an eco-friendly wedding location was more important than having eco-friendly catering, cakes, transportation, photography and even the wedding gown!
One in five engaged couples want to have an eco-friendly wedding, says Splendid Insights, a wedding-focused market research firm. And according to top wedding trends, the vast majority of wedding couples want some elements of a green wedding – from the flowers to the food to the location, wedding invitations and other parts of their Big Day. If you thought that green weddings cost a lot more than traditional weddings, it’s actually not that much more. TheWeddingReport.com says that eco-conscious wedding couples spend only 2% more on their green wedding than couples planning traditional weddings. That means you can arrange for more luxury wedding elements with your wedding budget and still have your dream green wedding!
Here are some additional green wedding statistics to inspire you:
- The wedding reception is a wedding’s biggest source of waste, with many NYC event planning companies saying that each wedding creates between 300 and 600 pounds of waste! That’s at your average wedding venue that doesn’t have the enormous collection of eco-friendly practices that Ellis Island and Liberty Island offer!
- Here’s what wedding couples consider the most important when it comes to a green wedding:
- Flowers: 62%
- Invitations: 57%
- Gifts and Favors: 55%
- Decorations: 54%
- CEREMONY AND RECEPTION LOCATION: 38%
- Beauty and Spa Treatments: 35%
- Food and Bar Service: 32%
- Cake and Desserts: 26%
- Transportation: 24%
- Wedding Dress, Tuxedo or Suit: 17%
- Rings and Jewelry: 17%
- Entertainment: 15%
- Accessories: 14%
- Source: TheWeddingReport.com
- The number of guests at an eco-friendly wedding isn’t much different than for traditional weddings:
- Less than 50 guests: 12%
- 50 to 100 guests: 25%
- 100 to 200 guests: 47%
- 200 to 300 guests: 13%
- 300+ guests: 4%
- TheWeddingReport.com shows that wedding couples under age 34 are most interested in having a green wedding:
- 18 to 24: 43%
- 25 to 34: 50%
- 35 to 44: 5%
- 45+: 2%
Ellis Island and Liberty Island are fabulous choices for your green wedding or eco-friendly celebration. Here’s why…
Evelyn Hill Inc. is a third generation family owned company that has been the exclusive concessionaire for the National Park Service for the past 80 years, and in that time, the company has become a leader and award-winner in sustainability methods. Check out Evelyn Hill Inc.’s sustainability statistics:
- Recycling over 94.2% of the solid waste produced by its operation.
- Diverting 94% of waste on Liberty and Ellis Islands in 2011, a new record – up 22% from the year before! Only 6% of collected waste on Liberty and Ellis Island went to landfills. That 94% was recycled or composted, including waste from food services, the gift shop and waste brought to the island by tourists.
- In 2011 only 157 pounds of waste a day went to landfills from both Islands. Last year, we recycled or composted:
- 57 Tons of Cardboard
- 18.5 Tons of Plastic
- 1.7 Tons of Glass & Aluminum
- 3,000+ Pallets
- 1,000+ Batteries
- 100% Used Fryer Oil
- 140 Light Bulbs
- 23.5 Tons of Food Scraps (including compostable hot cups & tray liners
In 2010, Evelyn Hill Inc. opened the Liberty Gift Pavilion, a LEED Platinum Certified building the first of its kind within the National Park Service. Evelyn Hill Inc. takes pride in planning you a flawless special event and is honored to represent these historic venues.
Evelyn Hill Inc. has aggressively recycled since 2000, and has won many awards from the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of the Interior for its Environmental Policies. Through annual Waste Assessments, Evelyn Hill Inc. continues to eliminate or replace items with reusable products. New dishwasher equipment was installed to utilize reusable plates and glassware.
In 2012, Evelyn Hill Inc. is replacing several products with similar items to eliminate several more tons of waste annually.
While constructing the Retail Pavilion, we added a 15,000 gallon storm water collection tank to collect the rainwater off the roof of the building. The storm water collection tank, along with ultra-low flush toilets, waterless urinals, low-flow sensor faucets and a new dishwasher in Liberty Cafe has allowed us to consume 44% less water for both buildings combined in 2011!
During the inaugural Operator Innovation Awards announced at the 2012 National Restaurant Association Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show, Evelyn Hill Inc. was announced the Innovator of the Year as well as the recipient of the Sustainability Award.
An independent jury panel, including the Director of Food & Beverage Concept Development of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide, and the President of Lettuce Entertain You, awarded Evelyn Hill Inc. awards in two separate categories, “Operator Innovator for Sustainability” and the most prestigious award of the evening, “Operator Innovator of the Year.”
When you want the best green wedding, you choose the best wedding venue in NYC, and we’re looking forward to working with you on your green wedding plans!
Contact us at http://thestatueofliberty.com/events/ellis-island/ and we’ll share all of the details on our eco-friendly wedding venues, and provide information for your wedding vendors who will implement all of your other green wedding and eco-friendly party details!