Evelyn Hill Inc. is a third generation family owned company that has been the exclusive concessionaire for the National Park Service for the past 80 years, and in that time, the company has become a leader and award-winner in sustainability methods, which means your luxury wedding will also be a green wedding.
Check out Evelyn Hill Inc.’s sustainability statistics:
- Recycling over 94.2% of the solid waste produced by its operation.
- Diverting 94% of waste on Liberty and Ellis Islands in 2011, a new record – up 22% from the year before! Only 6% of collected waste on Liberty and Ellis Island went to landfills. That 94% was recycled or composted, including waste from food services, the gift shop and waste brought to the island by tourists.
- In 2011 only 157 pounds of waste a day went to landfills from both Islands. Last year we recycled or composted:
- 57 Tons of Cardboard
- 18.5 Tons of Plastic
- 1.7 Tons of Glass & Aluminum
- 3,000+ Pallets
- 1,000+ Batteries
- 100% Used Fryer Oil
- 140 Light Bulbs
- 23.5 Tons of Food Scraps (including compostable hot cups & tray liners
• In 2010, Evelyn Hill Inc. opened the Liberty Gift Pavilion, a LEED Platinum Certified building, the first of its kind within the National Park Service. Evelyn Hill Inc. takes pride in planning you a flawless special event and is honored to represent these historic venues.
Evelyn Hill Inc. has aggressively recycled since 2000, and has won many awards from the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of the Interior for its Environmental Policies. Through annual Waste Assessments, Evelyn Hill Inc. continues to eliminate or replace items with reusable products. New dishwasher equipment was installed to utilize reusable plates and glassware.
In 2012, Evelyn Hill Inc. is replacing several products with similar items to eliminate several more tons of waste annually.
Water Consumption Down 44%!
While constructing the Retail Pavilion, we added a 15,000 gallon storm water collection tank to collect the rainwater off the roof of the building. The storm water collection tank, along with ultra-low flush toilets, waterless urinals, low-flow sensor faucets and a new dishwasher in Liberty Cafe has allowed us to consume 44% less water for both buildings combined in 2011!
During the inaugural Operator Innovation Awards announced at the 2012 National Restaurant Association Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show, Evelyn Hill Inc. was announced the Innovator of the Year as well as the recipient of the Sustainability Award.
An independent jury panel, including the Director of Food & Beverage Concept Development of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide, and the President of Lettuce Entertain You, awarded Evelyn Hill Inc. awards in two separate categories, “Operator Innovator for Sustainability” and the most prestigious award of the evening, “Operator Innovator of the Year.”
Find out more about Ellis Island Weddings and Events eco-friendly methods, and create an even greener wedding with your own vendors’ sustainable methods and products.